PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing?

EmilyNCfan
07-13-2003, 01:11 PM
I was wondering, Before you knew about Nickel creek, what band or singer, that you were like hooked on, ect.

For me, i was in love with rock.

fiddlincklcrker
07-13-2003, 08:20 PM
:( sadly i was into pop:( . i am not anymore though. darn you get to see nickel creek. i wish i could.

transformed
07-13-2003, 10:45 PM
life without nickel creek? it's nearly impossible to imagine...;)

i'd heard of them last school year when we sang Lighthouse and Out of the Woods in my select chorus, but that was it until my brother gave me This Side for christmas. before that...hm...i was, and am still, into Jimmy Eat World a lot (mostly their cd Clarity), Juliana Theory (their older stuff, also), Common Children which is a really hard to describe group...i guess i'd say it's early/mid -90's alternative or something like that, but with a lot of gorgeous strings and very melodic and poetic lyrics (if you know the praise song God of Wonders, that was written by Marc Byrd formerly of Common Children...i'd love to know what he's doing nowdays!) so yeah...also we have a couple hammered dulcimer cds, appalachian type mountain music which is really cool. aside from that, Nickel Creek was my first exposure to any kind of folk music..and i really love it! Yay:cool:

aurea55
07-14-2003, 12:13 AM
well glen phillips always talked about NC on his website so thats how i found out about them...um...i guess before that, i was really into poppy punk. you know like all the bands on drive-thru records and stuff. yea yeah, im one of <i>them</i> go ahead and throw tomatoes at me [splat]

sarah
07-14-2003, 07:12 AM
i'm ashamed to say nsync and britney spears. it was when i was link in grade school though and they were just starting out. i stopped being a fan a little after their 2nd albums.

pencefan
07-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Well the bands that I was big on I'm still big on. I listened to Sixpence None The Richer and Sugar Ray. I'm as big a fan of Sugar Ray now though. They have some good music but I just like Sixpence and the Creek better. I was also into other types of music and listened to Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Incubus, and Green Day alot. Though I still like all those bands too.

leconte
07-14-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm the kind of person that gravitates towards depth instead of breadth when it comes to music, so I tend to listen to just one artist at a time lol... the last artist I was hooked on before finding NC was John Mayer. I play guitar, and I got hooked on John because of his guitar playing (great blues player!) in addition to his lyrics which I can relate to, and his respectable personality. This was before I knew about NC, and little did I know, NC toured with him for a while!

The only other pre-NC bands I've been hooked on are Jethro Tull and Rush. I have been a rabid Rush fan for at least 15 years now.

This is in addition to my continual interest in instrumental acoustic music, such as Alasdair Fraser & Tony McManus (Return To Kintail cd... awesome music!), Al Petteway (Celtic fingerstyle guitar), and Jerry Read Smith (great hammered dulcimer stuff) among others. I also listen to a bit of jazz and baroque from time to time.

transformed
07-14-2003, 11:43 AM
Return to Kintail...there are some gorgeous songs on that cd. i borrowed it from my friends mom but she took it back. :(
and Jerry Read Smith...those are the dulcimer cd's i was talking about! he's friends with my sister-in-law's dad who also plays dulcimer, and they gave our family his cds for christmas a few years ago. we went to his shop in North Carolina and he and his wife played at my brother's wedding. Come Before Winter was the bridal processional...it was the coolest music of any wedding i've been to :) anyway how did you hear of him?

leconte
07-14-2003, 11:59 AM
Cool! :-)) I'm glad to hear someone else knows about Return to Kintail. There really is some beautiful music on there, especially the first track Men Of Ulster. It has a magical, surreal sound to it. Very relaxing and peaceful, and very emotional at the same time.

And I'm also glad (and surprised!) to hear other people knowing of Jerry Read Smith. I discovered his music about 15-20 years ago. My family spent a lot of time camping in the Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park, and we always went to these fireside presentations by the park rangers. They always had this incredible music playing in the background, and we found out it was Jerry's Strayaway Child (back when it was brand new! :) ). I've been hooked on his music ever since!

DixieMedley
07-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by transformed
...Common Children which is a really hard to describe group...i guess i'd say it's early/mid -90's alternative or something like that, but with a lot of gorgeous strings and very melodic and poetic lyrics (if you know the praise song God of Wonders, that was written by Marc Byrd formerly of Common Children...i'd love to know what he's doing nowdays!)

um, a bit of a de-rail, but to answer your question....

Marc Byrd is now performing in a band called Glass Byrd with his wife (the Glass of the group). They were opening for Caedmon's Call and Jars of Clay on their most recent tour, but I don't know if they're still with them or not.

transformed
07-14-2003, 10:09 PM
yeah, after posting that, i thought....well, i could probably do a search and find out...so i did and learned all kinds of things i didn't know including about the Glassbyrd cd (which sounds like it is going on my huge list of cds i want)

leconte...i didn't realize the strayaway child cds had been around that long. hm :) and Men of Ulster..i'm pretty sure that was one of the songs i was thinking of, although i can't remember which ones were my favorites because it's been awhile since i had the cd. looks like it's going on the list too..[shock]

leconte
07-15-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by transformed

leconte...i didn't realize the strayaway child cds had been around that long. hm :) and Men of Ulster..i'm pretty sure that was one of the songs i was thinking of, although i can't remember which ones were my favorites because it's been awhile since i had the cd. looks like it's going on the list too..[shock]

I think the strayaway child CD is marked with a release date of 1996 or something like that - but the original recordings were available on vinyl records way back in the early-mid 80's if memory serves. My mother still has an original copy of it :) . The 2nd and 3rd parts of the trilogy didn't come until much later though.

I'm a big supporter of the term don't judge a book by its cover but I must admit, I discovered the Return to Kintail cd solely because the cd cover looked great... :eek: I was perusing the music selections at Borders Books and Music, and saw it, found out that it was instrumental guitar and fiddle, and gave it a shot. Turns out it was a winner - and for some actual NC content... it does remind me of their instrumentals to a certain degree. I wonder if Chris/Sara/Sean have ever heard it...

Bast
07-15-2003, 01:20 PM
I've not switched my likes around much, I still love the same bands I did before. But I will follow Rockapella around when they're in the area, which is seldom....but they're here more than other bands I like. I also adore Christy Moore, but those concerts are only in Great Britian, none in the States. Oh Well.....

SeanWfan33
07-15-2003, 03:28 PM
i was into... lets see...80's cuz of my sister! sad times... 80's music is ok but nickel creek i will love they're music forever

obsessedwithNC
07-15-2003, 04:02 PM
lol, transformed, life without nickel creek is hard to imagine.. i have to admit.. i liked popular music.. not pop like britney or nsync but like Nelly and Eve and all the Now cd's.. now i barf on those crap ewww im sooooOoOO totally into nickel creek and Akus and country i dunno what id do without it!

sean_guitar_fan
07-16-2003, 09:54 PM
You mean back in the dark days when my life was meaningless? Ahhh, those were pathetic days. Sadly, although I now own over twenty five NC cds, I used to be obsessed with pop and punk. Sadly, I am now obsessed with pop and punk and bluegrass. Well, only NC bluegrass. Yucky poo poo other bluegrass or country. Icky. I don't like country. Just ask lovedixie over here.