Nickelcreek.info  

Go Back   Nickelcreek.info > The Main Powwow > General Discussions > articles and reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2002, 11:29 AM

Nickel Creek=Spinal Tap, so sayeth the Guardian (UK)

I searched for "Guardian" and it didn't come up, so I assume this has not yet been posted to the board. If it already has, sorry about that.

Dave Royko

----

Nickel Creek

Memorial Hall, Sheffield

Dave Simpson
Wednesday October 23, 2002
The Guardian

2 out of 5

As advertising executives and careers advisers often tell us, presentation is everything. But nobody appears to have told San Diego four-piece Nickel Creek. Formed around the brother-sister violin-guitar coupling of former child prodigies Sara and Sean Watkins, they arrive on these shores with a reputation as bluegrass innovators. Although some purists have been alienated by their mix'n'match approach, they have been praised by both bluegrass and country musicians' associations and their debut album shifted 650,000 in the US. Prospects of similar UK success are threatened by their bizarre approach to live performance. This is less a gig than a festival of public gurning.
Chief offender is singing mandolinist Chris Thile. In the US, Thile has been called "the Tiger Woods of the acoustic", which could equally refer to his bizarre employment of golf-like arm movements. Thile extends the gurn beyond the facial area into most of the upper body. At one point, beret on bonce, he poses like Rodin's Thinker and prances around the stage, performing Jimmy Page axe histrionics on an instrument smaller than a ukelele.

If this mandolin madman harbours secret ambitions to be in a heavy rock band, it would explain why Nickel Creek's complex and subtle music is all but ruined by his behaviour, which includes cramming in as many notes as possible. Thile's upstaging of his fellow musicians might see him banished from the band, if the Watkins pair weren't in awe of his diddling and similarly afflicted by the gurning curse. When they all stop twitching, they occasionally make a passable noise.

Thile manages to sing a moving song about pressure with something approaching a straight face, other songs dip into rock and psychedelia, and singer-violinist Sara Watkins tells an amusing tale about why they wrote a song about a decomposing whale ("It was a very unexplored subject").

However, too many rushed instrumentals conjure up the spectre of Morris dancing. With most Britons less bothered about musicianship, pained frowns and tassled jackets than their US counterparts, Nickel Creek may find better prospects here as a spoof act, bluegrass's own Spinal Tap

http://www.guardian.co.uk/arts/revie...817242,00.html
Old 10-29-2002, 12:01 PM

the article: title=tomato

my reaction: title=EEK! title=shock title= title= title=

What's up with this guy? title=Confused
Old 10-29-2002, 12:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to lruthie
that article was so serious, but I couldn't stop smiling. The writer obviously has some problems there.
gurn? bonce? What's he talking about?
Old 10-29-2002, 01:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to kokomo88
I am appalled...YEAH RIGHT LIKE THEY WOULD EVER FREAKIN BANISH HIM!!!!!!! hello? him and sean like..founded the group?

that guy has some issues...he needs some coca-cola and cheese.....calm down a little

HEAVY METAL ACOUSTIC BLUEGRASS!!!! that's NC's category???

But if from there you seek the Lord your God, you shall find him if you seek him with all your heart and with all your soul.
-Dt. 4:29
Old 10-29-2002, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lruthie
that article was so serious, but I couldn't stop smiling. The writer obviously has some problems there.
gurn? bonce? What's he talking about?
allow me to translate...

gurn is to pull a face

bonce is slang for head

i think he's got a couple of valid points but you can't help thinking this is spiteful journalsim - i was at the concert and don't think there was anyone in the room that went away thinking what he's put down there. i'd love to see him try and play tom bomb on the mando though... and then see the expression on his face.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:18 PM
what is the LCS?

title=shock title=EEK!

Still, given how blunt this guy is, one is able to find humor in it. Can you imagine NC getting lost on their way to the stage? Well, no...but it'd be funny if it happened.
Old 10-29-2002, 09:34 PM
i aint heard of no LCS

to the author of the article and in the poignant but simple words of jim carrey..." YOU'RE ONE PATHETIC LOSER!!!!!
....no offense"

to breakdown the moronities of this man's review...how can NC be a spoof of bluegrass..when they aren't bluegrass...even by their own admission? and even if they were bluegrass...what would he know about it? the last time i heard anything bluegrass related come out of the uk was when? (no offense headgear) and i thought the group was centered around sara, sean, and chris...maybe i misread that pizza place store 5 million times... i would go on but too angry...i'm guessing the author is ADHD..b/c apparently he was too distracted by chris' movment to notice anything else...of course i can understand seeing that often i am too distracted by sara for me to realize that oh yeah...everyone else stopped clapping...sorry...had to say that...

an angry goose
Old 11-05-2002, 06:56 AM
Woop tee doo

Send a message via AIM to NCFan4Ever
Hey guys, this writer is obviously an old, cranky guy who probably hasnt gotten any for a VERY LONG time. Thus, he is just bitter and probably jealous of NC because they are so young and cute and everybody loves them. (exactly the opposite of what he is.) So don't worry about it!

you know still waters can run shallow too....
Old 11-13-2002, 09:52 PM

so true--- I agree with everyone

This review was so bad, I was laughing hysterically. I guess he thinks performers should stand still on the stage and play the same licks over and over and over again and bore the audience to death. He's obviously not been to a good, non-classical concert in a long while.

I think Chris' antics are great-- I love it when performers move around and get into the music-- it's way more fun to watch and part of the LIVE PERFORMANCE-- DUH title=Roll
Old 11-14-2002, 01:50 AM
Member [moderator's slave]

Send a message via AIM to OrnotMajestic
Quote:
Originally posted by NCFan4Ever
Hey guys, this writer is obviously an old, cranky guy who probably hasnt gotten any for a VERY LONG time.
ROFL!! HA!! I knew it!! That's why Roger Ebert's movie reviews suck!! He's frustrated!! ROFL!!

Good call, Melanie.

LCS for life, baby.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: